Woman accused of killing infant nephew ‘was putting on make-up while he drowned in bath’

A woman accused of killing her infant nephew was applying make-up as he drowned the bath, a court heard.

Kayleigh Kerr is charged with the culpable homicide of Logan Cruickshanks at a house in Easterhouse, Glasgow in August 2018.

Prosecutors claim Kerr was reckless in putting the 10-month-old in an infant bath seat before adding an “excessive amount” of water which contravened the safety guidance.

The 25-year-old is also alleged to have repeatedly left Logan unattended and unsupervised.

The High Court in Glasgow heard that Logan became “submerged” in the bath water and “died as a result of drowning”.

Kerr faces an alternative charge under the Children and Young Persons Act of wilfully neglecting Logan that day.

Kerr’s mum Agnes Kerr, 49, told jurors in her evidence that they lived with Logan.

Agnes stated she was asleep on the morning of his death when a “hysterical” Kerr woke her up.

She said: “I didn’t know what she was shouting about.”

The witness recalled being told by Kerr that she left him in the bath for “two seconds.”

Prosecutor Alan Cameron referenced a statement Agnes gave to the police at the hospital, when it is claimed she said: “She was shouting about something being wrong with Logan.

“She was flapping and mentioned something about him being in his bath… she said she left him for two seconds to do her make-up.”

Ali Murray, defending, asked how good the relationship was between Kerr and Logan.

Agnes replied: “She did everything for him, she was really good to him… I had no concerns at all.”

Paramedic Stuart Ramsey, 35, also told jurors that he was told by Kerr that Logan was in the bath.

His police statement was also put to him.

He is stated to have said: “She said she went to put some make-up on and when she returned he was under water.”

Mr Murray asked if Kerr attempted to conceal the fact she was putting make-up on and the witness replied: “No.”

Constable Alam Armstrong, 40, claimed he was told by Kerr that she had been putting on make-up in the bedroom and that she was “back and forth” checking on him.

The witness also described being told that Kerr found Logan face up in the water and had a “floppy head.”

Kerr’s best friend Lauren Wilson, 27, told jurors that she was speaking to Kerr on Facebook Messenger on the morning of Logan’s death.

She stated that it was arranged that the pair would meet at Miss Wilson’s property later that day with Logan.

A text message allegedly sent by Kerr said: “Leaving this down here to change, I’m going to give him a bath and that before I come.”

Miss Wilson stated she did not hear from Kerr again until she realised Logan was “hurt.”

She added that Kerr was “upset, crying and screaming” on the phone.

Mr Murray put the witness’ police statement to her about when the pair met at Kerr’s home later that day.

It read: “Kayleigh said ‘I left Logan in the bath by accident and he wasn’t breathing’

“She was saying things like ‘it was all my fault’ and wishes it was her.”

The trial continues before Judge Lord Armstrong.

Kerr, of Uddingston, South Lanarkshire, remains on bail.